Medical Errors and Harm Are Real
Few will doubt the destructive, life-long impacts of medical errors and harm on patients and their families. These stories are not just statistics. They are from real people just like you and me.
- 15 year-old dies from elective surgery
- A new study shows that Preventative Medical Errors kill more than 400,000 patients per year.
- A Sea of Broken Hearts
- Alicia Cole’s Story
- American Association of Justice
- Black Monday — by Danny Long
- Medical Malpractice Awareness
- Michael Skolnik's Story
- The Last Collaboration
- The Story of Lewis Blackman – YouTube
- Valley Medical Blogspot
The Patients' Channel - from YouTube
These are patients’ presentations about medial errors and harm as well as their views and perspectives on how to make the medical system better for every one. Take a look at the videos; they are inspiring.
- Alicia Cole’s Channel
- From Empowered Patient Coalition
- From Peggy Lillis Memorial Foundation
- From Safe Patient Project by Consumers Union
- From The Patient Safety Channel by ASAP
- Helen Haskell at Patient Safety Science and Technology Summit
- Howard Sadwin's personal story of a metal on metal hip implant device
- Lenore Alexander at Patient Safety Science and Technology Summit
Web M&M by U.S. DHHS, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
There are many helpful information and statistics on this government website that help you educate yourself about patient safety issues.
Patient Information from The Empowered Patient Coalition
The Empowered Patient Coalition has created a lot of useful information on how to empower yourselves as patients and how to protect you and your loved ones from potential medical harm. Take these factsheets and checklists with you when you go to hospitals and visit doctors’ offices.
Patient Safety Checklists from Campaignzero.org
Here is another set of helpful safety checklists for patients.
AdvocateDirectory.org created from Mothers Against Medical Errors (MAME)
A list of individuals and organizations devoted to health care safety, quality and support around the U.S.
Taking Actions on Patient Safety; It is Everyone's Safety
Here is a list of patient safety advocacy networks around the country. You can learn about the issues they are advocating and read some very informative newsletters. Take the initiative to advocate for Your Safety.
- Consumers Union - Safe Patient Project
- Alliance for Safety Awareness for Patients (ASAP)
- Are you safe? (Patient safety video)
- CDC – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Citizens for Patient Safety
- Connecticut Center for Patient Safety
- Failed Implant Device Alliance
- Health Watch USA – Promotes Healthcare Value, Transparency, and Quality
- Informed Medical Decision Foundation
- KevinMD – How patients can avoid medical errors
- Leapfrog Group Blogspot
- Let's Get Wise on Patient Safety
- McCleary MRSA Prevention
- Medical Errors
- MRSA seminar slideshow
- National Quality Forum
- New Hampshire Patient Voices
- Nile’s Project
- Partnership for Patient Safety
- Patient Centered Care
- Patient Safety America
- Patient Safety Coalition
- Patient Safety of America: Their mind. Your Life.
- Society for Participatory Medicine
- The Empowered Patient Coalition
- The Peggy Lillis Memorial Fundation – Fighting C.Diff through Education and Advocacy
- Transparent Health – Improving Patient Care Outcomes
- US Dept Health and Human Services – Patient Safety Network